"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default."

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Summer: Always be my baby


Druuuums please!!! Now that July 4th has come and gone, summer is officially in full swing. For me, this time of year is synonymous with endless summer slacking, weekend beach trips, succulent bbq's, blockbuster movies, generous alcohol consumption (blue moon!!!) and of course music to go with it all. In my opinion no summer is like a summer on my isla bonita, but there is something in the air during these months that it is almost intoxicating. I can't wait to fall in love with you, you can't wait to fall in love with me...this just can't be summer love...you'll see. While my affair with the best season is more pronounced from May thru September, it constantly lives in my mind reminding of what was and the fun to come. Summer Breeze makes me feel fine...blowing through the jasmine in my mind.

  
It was 1996 my thoughts were short my hair was long, caught some where between a girl and woman. It was summertime in Patchogue NY. When I was 13 I was finally allowed to walk to Corey Beach by myself and I thought it was the greatest thing since Noxema. That was the summer it became clear to me I could never live without a beach, or noxema for that matter. It was short lived and I moved onto to other products quickly. I can't help it I am a cosmetics whore! To say I am a beach bum is the understatement of the century. One of the things I love about summer is the restorative power it has. I need the beach the way plants need sun to make chlorophyll. I know some of you out there paid attention in earth science! I find such peace and inspiration at the beach, I think I am addicted to it. I love reading and this is the one place I can truly loose myself in a book. That is until some asshole yells out "Hey Joey look at that hot chick over there, yo bro she's banging" I guess now is a good time for a nap and the ipod. After I double check I didn't drive to seaside by accident I lay down and I am once again one with the earth. Just wasting time...let the hours roll by doing nothing for the fun...a little taste of the good life....


It's not a day for work, its a day for catching tan...just laying on the beach and having fun...she's going to get you! After a long week of work and commuting all that she wants more than anything is getting into my car and go fast on the parkway blasting music. This is an extremely important part of summer madness. Music, but more specifically the anthems we groove to year after year. I know summer has officially begun when I hear the entire endless summer album and I blast Summertime while driving slowly, the way DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince intended it to be. I pretty much consider any trace of reggae a summer song because it reminds me of my fondness for the Caribbean. I love a good jam mon! Sean Paul, check...after all these years I am still in love with you boy... Mr.Bob Marley and all of his hits, and that should not need an explanation. Although I am a white wine woman, red red wine you make me feel so fine...your kind of loving like a blessing from above. True story peeps.

 

In addition to songs there are a couple of music videos that can bring the summer vibe to us no matter time nor place. In 1995 Mariah set the standard for my summer must-haves. I love the video for fantasy, it makes me want to go to a carnival and sing about my sweet sweet fantasy while rollerblading. Was that song about Tommy Mottola? Ew double gross. Since then denim cutoffs have never left my life.
The song really comes to life in the remix with Old Dirty Bastard. No...not Bill O'Reilly, silly wabbit, the rapper O.D.B. and Puffy finds a way to sneak into the song per his usual. Yoooooo NY in da house!! Classic! RIP ODB. The other video that hits the spot is Always be my baby. Yo mariah you on FIRE! The cute interracial love between the young kids at summer camp, Ms. Carey looking country chic swinging from the tire swing effortlessly and gracefully, I mean what else could a summer video need? 


I could write about summer songs until the next decade but my all time top summer song has always been and always will be Boys of Summer. I have no clue why...but I worship Don Henley the way mice worship cheese. Back when MTV actually played videos, I saw this black and white masterpiece. I was nine or ten and it was a special of the greatest 80's songs. Even though I didn't get the meaning right away its melody and young DH pounding on those drums with that fierce hair stole my heart. This video layers a summer romance on top of fading youth and is the epitome of nostalgia and hope. The three DH's look back even though they are not supposed to...gets me every time! If only wafers would look good on me, I'd be all set. I heart you Don Henley!!!!

 


So now that we've discussed the past, it is time to discuss 2011. My jam this summer for you to discover and enjoy before it is ruined by the radio, is a Pitbull song. His new CD "Planet Pit" is simply spectacular. I am pretty obsessed with Mr. 305/worldwide and have been for a long time but I think this song has really spoken to my hips this summer and hopefully my dear reader it will speak to yours. Appropriately titled Shake Senora since I am a married lady, it features Sean DaPaul & T-Pain. There is also a remix with the aforementioned AND Luda. I can't decide which version I like best though they are both outstanding. My fav part comes around 2:33 and for those of you who read last week's post you will know instantly why. I say download the entire CD and you will dance your way through the summer. Mal hablado y fresco... That's why I love you Pit!

JAM OF THE WEEK: Entire Planet Pit CD but specifically Shake Senora

As always keep it ferocious and fabulous!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment