"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default."

Saturday, January 1, 2011

On to the next one...

Well here we are, another year, another resolution that I may or may not stick to.  I wanted to create a place to express myself in a creative and fun way.  I hope that you will enjoy this blog and keep coming back.  If you have made it this far...I thank you! 

Another year and yet it seems like time is moving faster than ever.  Okay I am done with 2010...now I am on to the next one. I remember when I was younger I literally felt time crawling, so anxious to finally be a grown up! Here I am! Yet wishing I was back in my old room laying on my 90210 sheets and endlessly staring at the ceiling while listening to my casettes (did I just age myself?!) simply because I could.  Today I am lucky if I can stare at anything for more than a few seconds before I start falling asleep.  Time seems to be moving so fast around me I can barely keep up, but the eternal optimist in me will always keep trying.

Yes I did it again!! I say jump and you all JUMP
 Today I watched Oprah's new network OWN (absolute crack by the way, as usual she knew exactly what she was doing) the show "Master Class" featuring one of my favorite people Sean Carter AKA Jigga man himself.  His song "on to the next one" was the inspiration for this post.  There was the usual "behind the music" element to it, with Oprah interjecting with some words of wisdom per her usual, but I heard him say something that really made me think about my outlook towards 2011.  

I am a genius and you know it...

Hov talks about the beginnings of his realizing the extraordinary talent he posessed while living in the projects.  His mother, passed down timesless words that according to him almost cost him his career.  "The hard work you put into something determines what you will get out of it."  Advice we have all heard from someone at some point in our lives.  If you work hard - then that must mean you accomplish what you worked hard for.  Jay talks about how writing rhymes and rapping was an easy and fun way to pass the time for him.  According to his mother since he wasn't working hard at it, it probably wouldnt materialize into anything worth while. He ponders this point, and then laughs and concludes that his mother probably didn't mean it that way. 

Creator of Rocawear
Co-owner of NJ Nets
 Obviously, there is no argument, at least not from me, that Jay-Z didn't work hard to get to where he is, even if his unbelievable talent comes as easily as breathing.  But it got me thinking...I know a few people who don't seem to be working that hard who are doing much better than people I know who have 3 jobs and still have nothing to show for it.  Is it all really just hard work? Is it absolutely true that if you work hard at something you will suceed?  I am not so sure, no disrespect Mrs. Hov.  

As a type A I find it extremely frustrating to work diligently at something and still fail.  Though it hasn't happened to me many times, just recently I tried very hard to learn to sew.  I put a lot of time and effort, and though I was miracolously able to piece a garment together, there hasn't been a sadder sight than me trying.  If you practice basketball day and night can you be like Lebron? If you memorize every math problem you can think of can you be a skilled mathmetician? Are there more elements to accomplishing something than simply the aspect of how much hard work is put in? Absolutely, the difficulty is in identifying what those other aspects are within each of us and when is it time to throw in the towel and say ok, I am done with that now, on to the next one.

If hard work isnt often enough, then why does society keep telling us it is? Our parents? If there was one thing I could take up with my father regarding my upbringing, it is this notion that working like a dog gets you where you want to be.  It helps, but it certainly isnt the only vehicle that brings us to accomplishment or sucess.  Ambition, drive, sacrifice, intelligence, perceptiveness, discipline, vision and balls of steel are the things that in combination with hard work have helped me accomplish what I have thus far.  And depending on which day of the week it is, I may feel as though I havent been able to accomplish anything (I did say I was type A didnt I?) The moment I realized I needed to accept that no matter how hard I worked I would never be an expert sewer was difficult.  I searched for reasons to not throw in the towel, because that must have meant I didn't work hard enough, I didn't want it bad enough.  

I don't think it means that, I just think it's time to move on. And go on to the next one...hello 2011!


If you enjoyed this post please sign up to be a follower! 

If you would like to comment on this post please feel free to do so!


No comments:

Post a Comment